Development Intern (SF #1920-42)
City: Fort Lauderdale
The American Lung Association has a great opportunity for a Development Intern to join our incredible team in our Fort Lauderdale, FL office. Working alongside members of the Development Team, the intern will join an outstanding group of professionals dedicated to our mission: to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease, through research, education, and advocacy.
The intern will assist the American Lung Association South Florida staff to execute program and event activities to gain experience in the field of Marketing, Communications and Social Media.
This is a great opportunity for the intern to enhance their skills in organization, multi-tasking and communications. The intern can expect to develop confidence and marketable skills by engaging in or assisting with many of the following activities:
- Gain a basic understanding of the American Lung Association
- Become knowledgeable of mission, development, and communications efforts.
- Gain technical training by utilizing American Lung Association social media platforms.
- Participate in staff meetings and learning opportunities.
- Manage and develop, with direction, a social media plan for the Las Olas Wine and Food Festival or similar special event.
- Work with local media (print, radio, television, etc) to promote the Asthma Basics program.
- Assist in creating marketing strategies to engage our local constituency.
- Assist with the development and sending of the bi-monthly South Florida ALA Newsletter.
- Assist with brainstorming and providing creative ideas to drive and execute program and event awareness.
- Gain a basic understanding of ALA Social Media and area marketing platforms.
- Learn more about Non-Profit structure, including mission, development, and communications efforts.
- Gain technical training by utilizing and leveraging your skills to deliver real world marketing campaigns.
- Learn about team building and collaborating with staff.
- Learn how to develop communications for South Florida American Lung Association programs and events, including the Las Olas Wine and Food Festival, LUNG FORCE Expo, Asthma Basics, Miami's Fight for Air Climb, LUNG FORCE Sunset Soiree and LUNG FORCE Turquoise Takeover.
- Learn to cultivate relationships.
- Learn how to communicate in a professional office setting.
TYPE OF INTERNSHIP
Before internship begins, documentation from the school may be required stating that this internship opportunity is eligible for academic credits.
This is an unpaid internship position requiring a minimum time commitment of 16 hours per week (flexible schedule) and may be eligible for course credit. This position will be starting as soon as the week of December 2nd, 2019 and will end by May 17th, 2020.
- Must be working towards a Bachelor's Degree in Non-Profit Management, Marketing and Communications, or related field
- Qualified candidates must be enthusiastic, and reliable.
- Qualified candidates should possess strong writing skills, attention to detail, and have a keen interest in the mission of the American Lung Association
- Ability to multitask, perform in a team environment, and a demonstrated willingness to learn
- Ability to work independently
- Computer Proficiency – Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher
- Ability to lift and carry 25 lbs. (supplies)
- Consistent with its mission, the American Lung Association maintains a smoke-free workplace; all unpaid interns and volunteers must abstain from tobacco use in any form
Please e-mail you cover letter and resume to (include EXACT title in subject of email):
The American Lung Association is dedicated to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V