Development Intern (NYC #2122-08U)
New York, New York
The American Lung Association has a great opportunity for a Development Intern to join our incredible team in New York City.
The American Lung Association has a great opportunity for a Development Intern to join our incredible team in New York City. Alongside members of the Development team, the intern will join an outstanding group of professionals dedicated to our mission: to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease, through research, education, and advocacy.
The intern will assist the American Lung Association development staff to execute the event procurement, event marketing, grant applications, participant communications, and social media management activities to gain experience in the field of communications, event management and fundraising.
TYPE OF INTERNSHIP
Before an unpaid internship begins, documentation from an accredited college or university will be required stating that this internship opportunity is eligible for academic credit.
This internship requires a minimum time commitment of 8 -15 hours per week (flexible schedule) and must be eligible for course credit. This position is for Fall 2021 and must be completed by December 31, 2021.
This is a great opportunity for the intern to enhance their skills in organization, multi-tasking and communications. The intern can expect to develop confidence and marketable skills by engaging in or assisting with many of the following activities:
Development & Communications
- Assist with general administrative support for LUNG FORCE Walks and Fight For Air Climbs to gain exposure to specific events terminology.
- Assist in prospect research, data entry, tabling promotional events, mailings, event promotion dissemination and in-kind donation acquisition.
- Assist with brainstorming and providing creative ideas to execute successful marketing, recruitment, and fundraising plans for LUNG FORCE Walks and Fight For Air Climbs.
- Assist with event day activities and volunteer recruitment and management.
- Participate in staff meetings and learning opportunities.
- Gain a basic understanding of the American Lung Association fundraising efforts and mission work.
- Become knowledgeable of mission, development, and communications efforts.
- Gain technical training by utilizing internal event tracking and management systems, Microsoft Office Suite, social media and other fundraising technology platforms.
- Learn more about Non-Profit structure, including mission, development, and communications efforts.
- Learn about team building and collaborating with staff.
- Learn how to develop communications for various fundraising events.
- Learn to cultivate relationships.
- Learn how to communicate in a professional office setting.
- Learn successful recruitment and retention strategies for volunteers and event participants.
- Must be working towards a bachelor's degree in Non-Profit Management, Marketing, Communications or related field
- Must be eligible to receive college credit for internship
- Qualified candidates must be enthusiastic, reliable, and interested in developing a career in the above, or non-profit management
- Qualified candidates should possess strong writing skills, attention to detail, and have a keen interest in the mission of the American Lung Association
- Ability to multitask, perform in a team environment, and a demonstrated willingness to learn
- Ability to work independently
- Computer Proficiency – Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher
- Ability to lift and carry 25 lbs. (supplies)
- Consistent with its mission, the American Lung Association maintains a smoke-free workplace; all interns must abstain from tobacco use in any form. Also, all interns are required to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless approved for medical or religious exemption.
Please e-mail your cover letter and resume to (include the EXACT title in the subject of email):
Email: [email protected]
The American Lung Association is dedicated to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V