Marketing & Social Media Intern (CA #1920-36)
The American Lung Association has a great opportunity for a Marketing & Social Media Intern to join our incredible team in our Oakland, CA office. Working alongside members of the Development Team, you will join an outstanding group of professionals dedicated to our mission: to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease, through research, education, and advocacy.
This is a great opportunity for the intern to enhance their skills in organization, multi-tasking and communications. The intern can expect to develop confidence and marketable skills by engaging in or assisting with our Fight For Air Climb:
- Gain a basic understanding of the American Lung Association
- Become knowledgeable of mission, development, and communications efforts.
- Gain technical training by utilizing special event databases.
- Participate in staff meetings and learning opportunities.
- Social Media Management
- Engage with and grow our follower base on Facebook for multiple American Lung Association pages
- Create/maintain weekly content calendars and schedule posts and engagements
- Assist with the creation of new ALA social channels (Twitter, Snapchat, etc.)
- Content Creation
- Write and schedule copy for social media posts
- A/B split tests for maximum engagement on our social media activity
- Develop content for PR communications and marketing campaigns
- Paid Ads
- Assist with any activity surrounding paid advertising on Facebook
- Marketing and Social Media Committee
- Assist the Marketing and Social Media Sub-committee on all projects
- Learn more about Non-Profit structure, including mission, development, and communications efforts.
- Gain experience in event planning by assisting in social media management, event logistics, sponsor/donor outreach, creating/editing marketing materials, and coordinating event setup/breakdown.
- Develop leadership skills by creating Climb team and managing/inspiring groups to fundraise and participate
- Strengthen communications skills through proof reading and editing documents, grant writing, writing emails and making phone calls to solicit donations.
- Learn time management strategies by effectively meeting special projects deadlines as assigned by Development Team, in addition to executing projects related to the day to day administrative options of the Oakland office.
- Learn to cultivate relationships and effectively engage volunteers.
- Learn how to communicate in a professional office setting.
TYPE OF INTERNSHIP
Before internship begins, documentation from the school may be required stating that this internship opportunity is eligible for academic credits.
This is an unpaid internship position requiring a minimum time commitment of 10 to 20 hours per week (flexible schedule) and must be eligible for course credit.
- Must be working towards or have attained a Bachelor's Degree in Non-Profit Management, Communications or related field
- Qualified candidates must be enthusiastic, reliable, and interested in developing a career in communications or non-profit management
- Qualified candidates should possess strong writing skills, attention to detail, and have a keen interest in the mission of the American Lung Association
- Ability to multitask, perform in a team environment, and a demonstrated willingness to learn
- Ability to work independently
- Computer Proficiency – Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Social Media
- Ability to lift and carry 25 lbs. (supplies)
- Consistent with its mission, the American Lung Association maintains a smoke-free workplace; all unpaid interns and volunteers must abstain from tobacco use in any form
Please e-mail you cover letter and resume to (include EXACT title in subject of email):
Email: [email protected]
The American Lung Association is dedicated to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
Sign up for the latest lung health news sent right to your inbox.
Join more than 500,000 people who receive research updates, inspiring stories, health information and more.