Development Director (CA #1718-154)
The American Lung Association has a great opportunity for a Development Director to join our incredible team in California. Working as a member of the Development team you will join an outstanding group of professionals dedicated to our mission: to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease, through research, education, and advocacy.
In this role, you will be responsible for overseeing all aspects related to the creation, management and execution of annual fundraising campaigns with a focus on signature special events. This includes securing sponsorship, participant recruitment, volunteer involvement, team building, marketing, budget, timelines, evaluation and logistics. Current event lineup includes Fight for Air Climb, LUNG FORCE Gala, LUNG FORCE Walk, and LUNG FORCE Expo (sponsorship).
- Responsible for raising funds through special events, individual and corporate giving, non-governmental grants and other income sources utilizing the implementation of best practices.
- Develop, implement and monitor plans to meet Greater Bay Area fundraising goals. As needed, develop contingency plans to successfully meet fundraising goals and complete activities.
- Ensure revenue goals are attained by identifying, recruiting, managing and stewarding high level volunteer committees.
- Implement local fundraising events including securing sponsors and recruiting fundraising participants. Recruit, train and supervise development staff and volunteers.
- Make recommendations for Greater Bay Area development budget and innovative ways to accomplish goals. Submit timely program reports.
- Oversee and manage event project timelines. Monitor and prepare ongoing event progress reports. Evaluate event results and prepare recommendations for future events as needed.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, ensure the creation of a strong corporate committee (Growth Committee) comprised of corporate community leadership volunteers capable of increasing sponsorships and corporate support. Organize volunteers for each event to execute logistics and boost recruitment.
- Recruit, manage and coach community and corporate team captains and volunteers. Cultivate relationships and effectively engage volunteers. Work with the Development team to cultivate event attendees.
- Manage Development Manager and Development Coordinator ensuring volunteer recruitment, e-communications, and adherence to the timeline for a successful event.
- Responsible for cross-functional collaboration with Health Promotion and Advocacy to ensure robust representation at all fundraising events.
- Oversee all event solicitations. Oversee budget and logistics preparation. Work closely with a variety of vendors and venues necessary for event execution.
- Cooperate with Administrative Assistant to assure donation, interaction, and participation information on constituents (donors, prospects, volunteers, event participants and others) is properly recorded in relationship management databases and systems.
- Work closely with regional and national colleagues.
- Complete special projects as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Non-Profit Management, Marketing, or related field required
- Minimum of seven years’ fundraising experience including special event planning and management, individual and corporate giving, and non-governmental grant acquisition
- Must have experience with leading and managing staff
- Demonstrated success in recruiting and stewarding high level volunteers, donors, and sponsors
- Experience with non-profit budget building and management
- Proven ability to multi-task in a fast-paced work environment with strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and proficient in social and digital media
- Able to work with minimum direct supervision, make decisions, and take initiative
- Proven ability to cultivate and steward relationships across a diverse population
- Flexibility to work irregular hours, including evenings and weekends with some overnights required. Must have a valid Driver’s license
- Ability to lift and carry 25 lbs. (event supplies)
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office and Convio
- Consistent with its mission, the American Lung Association maintains a smoke-free work place; all employees must abstain from tobacco use in any form.
To apply send cover letter and resume and salary requirements to (include job title and job number in subject of email):
Human Resources Department
American Lung Association
Email: [email protected]
The American Lung Association is dedicated to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V