Development Director (CA #1819-141)
City: Orange County
The American Lung Association has a great opportunity for a Development Director to join our incredible team in California. Working as a member of the Development Team you will join an outstanding group of professionals dedicated to our mission: to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease, through research, education, and advocacy.
In this role, you will be responsible for overseeing all aspects related to the creation, management and execution of annual fundraising campaigns with a focus on signature special events. This includes securing sponsorship, participant recruitment, volunteer involvement, team building, marketing, budget, timelines, evaluation and logistics.
- Responsible for raising funds through special events, individual & corporate giving, non-governmental grants & other income sources utilizing the implementation of best practices.
- Develop, implement and monitor plans to meet area fundraising goals. If necessary, be prepared to develop a contingency plan to successfully meet fundraising goals and complete activities.
- Ensure revenue goals are attained by identifying, recruiting, managing and stewarding high level relationships with sponsors and individual donors.
- Implement local fundraising events including securing sponsors & recruiting fundraising participants. Recruit, train & supervise development staff & volunteers.
- Provide recommendations for area development budget & innovative ways to accomplish goals. Submit timely program reports.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, ensure the recruitment of strong development committee volunteers comprised of corporate and community leaders capable of securing sponsorships and corporate support.
- Coach corporate team captains and fundraising volunteers.
- Manage Development Coordinator ensuring volunteer recruitment, e-communications, and adherence to the timeline for a successful event.
- Responsible for cross-functional collaboration with Programs and Advocacy to ensure robust representation at all fundraising events.
- Oversee all event solicitations. Oversee budget and logistics preparation. Work closely with a variety of vendors and venues necessary for event execution.
- Oversee and manage event project timelines. Monitor and prepare ongoing event progress reports. Evaluate event results and use analysis to prepare recommendations for future events as needed.
- Work closely with Southern California, regional and national colleagues.
- Complete special projects as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Non-Profit Management, Marketing, or related field required.
- Minimum of seven years fundraising experience including special event planning and management, individual & corporate giving, and non-governmental grant acquisition.
- Must have experience with leading and managing staff.
- Demonstrated success in recruiting and stewarding high level volunteers, donors, and sponsors.
- Experience with non-profit budget building and management.
- Proven ability to multi-task in a fast-paced work environment with strong organizational skills and an attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and proficient in social & digital media.
- Able to work with minimum direct supervision, make decisions, and take initiative.
- Proven ability to cultivate and steward relationships across a diverse population.
- Flexibility to work irregular hours, including evenings and weekends with some overnights required. Must have a valid Driver’s license.
- Ability to lift and carry 25 lbs. (event supplies)
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office and Convio.
- Consistent with its mission, the American Lung Association maintains a smoke-free work place; all employees must abstain from tobacco use in any form.
To apply send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to (include job title and job number in subject of email):
Human Resources Department
American Lung Association
Email: [email protected]
The American Lung Association is dedicated to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V