Join us for one of the most unique events in Austin! On April 27, 2013, hundreds of people will huff and puff their way to the top of the Frost Tower in Austin for a great cause. This is more than your same-old 5K. This event is a vertical race to climb 31 floors. Whether climbing for a winning time or simply to cross the finish line, in honor or in memory of someone with lung disease, this event is a great way to challenge yourself physically. We guarantee that all finishers will have a newfound respect for healthy lungs!
Important: All participants must be registered and have a minimum of $100 in fundraising received by April 27, 2013 to be officially entered into the race.
- The registration fee is $25. The minimum fundraising fee for all climbers is $100. A total of $125 is required to climb Frost Tower. Many of our participants raise well over the minimum; if you have any questions or concerns about fundraising, call our office for some coaching tips. The registration fee is non-refundable should you choose not to climb or if you don't meet your fundraising minimum.
- Participants can fundraise and climb as an individual or make it more fun and form a team.
- All participants are professionally timed and ranked by timing chips.
- Climbers will receive an official Austin Fight for Air Climb t-shirt and refreshments.
- Fundraising incentives will be given to top fundraisers. Start early and you will easily reach your fundraising goal! The American Lung Association will be more than happy to help you accomplish your goal - just ask!
- Each participant and team is strongly encouraged to create a personalized fundraising page which is fun and easy to do through the Austin Climb website. It has been proven that teams with personalized pages (a story about why you climb and a photo) raise over 2x the amount as those who don’t have a personal page. Call our office – we can help you set up your page.
- Awards will be given to the fastest climbers, top fundraisers and top teams following the event.
- You can register as an individual, as a member of an existing team or as the captain of a new team.
- Teams must consist of at least three people (for timing purposes.) Please note that the TEAM CAPTAIN has to register on-line first before other team members can register.
- Why climb alone? Forming a Climb team is a fun way to share this event with family, friends and co-workers. Your team will support each other as you train, fundraise and complete the event together. When you all reach the top, the celebration will be all the more sweet. You can form a corporate team or a family team for this event. You can easily manage your team's progress from your team's personal webpage.
Team Benefits include:
- Coordinated start times so all team members can climb together.
- Opportunity to design special "team" shirts or costumes to wear on event day.
- The unbeatable support from your fellow team members as you climb up 31 stories to the top of the Frost Tower!
- Fundraising coaching and support from Lung Association staff every step of the way.
- We encourage you to train appropriately to avoid injuries during this challenge. Training in a safe, well ventilated stairwell is ideal.
- Utilize a stair master or other equipment at your gym for a training alternative.
- Pacing yourself during the stair climb is key to successful completion.
- Drink plenty of water starting two days before the event and continue hydrating throughout the climb. Water stations will be strategically placed in the stairwells during the event so that you will stay hydrated for your climb to the 31st floor.
- You may bring a heart rate monitor if you wish to use it for this event.
- Please arrive at least one hour prior to your start time.
- For those who did not come to packet pick up, please be sure to visit the Registration table outside the lobby of the Frost Tower to check-in the morning of the event.
- Check-in begins at 7:30 AM. The climb actually begins at 9:00 AM and bib numbers will be assigned with start times in 15 minute intervals.
- Your timing chip will coincide with your start time and will be embedded in your bib. You will pick up your bib and receive your start time at either Packet Pick Up the evening before the Climb, or on the morning of the event at the Registration table outside the Frost Tower Lobby.
- Your bib number must be displayed at all times during the event.
- Timing Chips are disposable. Please dispose of your bib and chip in a trash receptacle.
- All climbers should be in numerical bib order prior to your start time. Line monitors will assist you. Climbers will proceed in 15-second intervals. Start times are not flexible.
- Climbing a stairwell multiple times, or going "down the stairs" is strictly prohibited.
- While climbing, if you notice that you are faster than other participants, please PASS TO THE LEFT OF THOSE PARTICIPANTS.
- You may run, you may walk, but please don't crawl! If you must exit in case of an emergency or you are unable to complete the climb, please seek security, volunteer or medical staff for assistance to be properly escorted.
- DO NOT EXIT ANY FLOOR WITHOUT SECURITY PERSONNEL.
Event Day Agenda
7:30 am - Registration Begins
8:30 am - Welcome Ceremony
Hosts: Miss Austin 2012, Callie Thompson &Todd Dixon, Event Co-Chair.
Welcome by Jennifer Sherrill, American Lung Association Chair
Moment of Silence led by AFD, APD and TX National Guard
Remarks by: Hugh Brown, CEO of Presenting Sponsor St. David’s HealthCare Georgetown; Sonja McDonnell, Boston Scientific & Bronchial Thermoplasty Patient; Dr. Huang, City of Austin Medical Director
9:00-10:30 am - Ryan Layden performs music in the Frost lobby
9:00 am - Warb Lee, CEO of Alen Corp, starts the Climb
Extreme Fitness Division Wave goes up
9:15 am - Extreme Fitness Division Wave goes up a second time
9:30 am - 2nd Climb Wave Starts
9:45 am - 3rd Climb Wave Starts
10:00 am - 4th Climb Wave Starts
10:15 am - 5th Climb Wave Starts
10:30-12:00 pm - Ady of Dahebegebees performs in the Frost lobby
10:30 am - 6th Climb Wave Starts
10:45 am - 7th Climb Wave Starts
11:00 am - 8th Climb Wave Starts
11:15 am - 9th Climb Wave Starts
11:30 am - Firefighters in Full Gear Start
12:00 pm - Awards Ceremony, Hosted by Miss Texas Scholarship Organization
Remarks by Iram Leon, Marathon Winner and Cancer Patient.
1:00 pm - Event ends
- It is suggested that you wear comfortable clothing, appropriate for an intense cardio workout.
- Proper shoes are essential. Running, walking or cross training shoes are key to a successful climb.
- Don't forget your team pride and spirit! It is required that you securely attach your bib number to the front of your t-shirt. (Exception: Firefighters and anyone else in uniform may use string.)
- The American Lung Association will not be responsible for any items that are lost or stolen.
- Please leave all personal belongings at home or in your car. However, Firefighters and Police can climb in full gear.
Timing Results and Awards
- Overall fastest male
- Overall fastest female
- Fastest Friends & Family Team
- Fastest Corporate Team
- Overall highest fundraising team
Age Groups Awards (for both females and males who place 1st and 2nd in each age group):
- 19 and younger
- 20 - 29
- 30 - 39
- 40 - 49
- 50 - 59
- 60 - 69
- 70 +
Firefighter Awards in Full Gear:
- Fire Fighting Fastest Team
- 1st and 2nd Fastest Individuals
- Fire Fighting Highest Fundraising Team
Extreme Fitness Awards
- 1st and 2nd Fastest Individual
- Fastest Extreme Fitness Team
- Highest Fundraising Extreme Fitness Team