How Does My Donation Help?
With more than 35 million Americans affected by lung disease, such as asthma, lung cancer and COPD, our community must come together to raise money to help fund research and educational programs.
Lung Disease Facts At A Glance:
• Every year, lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer deaths in the country. It kills more Americans than breast, uterine, cervical, colon, prostate, and pancreatic cancers combined.
• Lung disease is growing at a rate faster than other major diseases, and is the third leading cause of death in the United States.
• According to the CDC, approximately 12 Americans die every day from an asthma attack.
• Asthma is the number one chronic disease of children, and is the leading cause of school days missed due to a chronic illness. It is also a major cause of lost work time, emergency room visits and hospital stays.
• Big tobacco spends billions of dollars each year to lure children to start smoking.
• 24 million Americans are currently living COPD (chronic bronchitis and emphysema).
HOW DOES MY DONATION HELP?
• Fundraising supports vital research to find better treatment methods and to eventually, find a cure.
• Fundraising supports community- and school-based programs.
• Fundraising supports our Freedom From Smoking® programs for those who want to quit smoking and we lead a variety of programs to help children decide never to start this deadly addiction.
• Fundraising supports our Better Breathers Clubs, which give patients the tools to take control of their lung disease and to have a better quality of life.
• Fundraising supports our Lung HelpLine that connects thousands of callers directly to a registered nurse or respiratory therapist who will discuss a diagnosis, explain a procedure or offer assistance with understanding medications.
• Fundraising supports our advocacy efforts: pushing for the adoption of comprehensive laws prohibiting smoking in workplaces, restaurants, bars, the banning of smoking on airplanes, as well as, passage of the Clean Air Act.
We will breathe easier when the air in every American community is clean and healthy.
We will breathe easier when people are free from the addictive grip of tobacco and the debilitating effects of lung disease.
We will breathe easier when the air in our public spaces and workplaces is clear of secondhand smoke.
We will breathe easier when children no longer battle airborne poisons or fear an asthma attack.
Until then, we are fighting for air.
FIGHTING FOR YOU!
Thank you for supporting the American Lung Association®. You are a champion in the fight for healthy lungs and healthy air, and you help save lives today and keep America healthy tomorrow.