If you are a team captain, please take a moment to view the following resources:
Team Caption Newsletters:
Watch this space for Newsletters as they are published.
For additonal climber resources, please visit the Participant Resources Page.
What is a team?
- A team consists of a captain and at least three additional team members. A team may have more than one captain, which is a great way to share responsibilities.
- Within a team, individuals may not climb together due to the race option that they have selected (i.e. Two members of a team registered as Elite Climbers and the rest have registered as Full/Half Climbers. The Elite Climbers will be climbing separately from the rest of their team and vice versa.)
- Teams can be classified as Corporate (meaning that they are representing a company or organization), Friends and Family or even First Responders. However, we encourage all teams to be inclusive and recruit from many areas. Some of our best corporate teams consist of company members and their families and friends.
- Each team member is encouraged to raise above their $100 fundraising minimum to work toward achieving a world free of lung disease.
- Monies raised by individuals on a team combine to make that team’s fundraising total.
What does it cost?
- There is no additional fee for registering a team, but depending on the event, however, each individual is responsible for a nominal registration fee and the $100 fundraising minimum.
- Teams may invest in team shirts, team jerseys, a team tent, or other items, but those costs are at the discretion of the team or supporting company.
Why do we like teams?
- Teams provide a way for groups to get involved with the American Lung Association and raise awareness of healthy lungs and air as well as the programs we offer.
- Teams provide a support mechanism for members during the training and fundraising season.
- Teams allow organizations to show their philanthropic spirit.
- Teams generate enthusiasm before, during, and after the event.
Why should you form a team?
- The best reason to form a team is to join the fight for healthy lungs and air! Money raised by our participants directly fund programs, services, research and advocacy.
- You want to join the fun. Not only is this a unique event in our community, your team gets to enjoy it together!
- Teams provide a way for people to come together. The Fight for Air events provide a common goal for team members to rally around.
- Team participation creates great community visibility for a company or organization.
- A team provides great motivation to reach a personal fitness goal while enjoying time with others.
- Teams can win great prizes for spirit, fundraising and participation!
What tools are in place to assist the team captain?
- New to the team concept? Let us help! There are many resources and events available to team captains:
- Web Tools: As a participant, you have access to great online tools that you and your team members can use to register, send email messages, request and track donations, and monitor progress. Build a web page for your team and have each team member create a personal page, too!
- Emails: We’ll help you through the process of being a team captain by providing you with regular emails tailored to help you with recruitment, organization, and fundraising.
- Prize Club: Team members are encouraged to strive for Clubs that recognize great fundraising efforts. Prizes are included to entice. For details on climb clubs, please visit the Clubs & Awards page.
- Internal kick offs and informational meetings: Our event managers/volunteers are always available to meet with you to help promote your team’s recruitment and fundraising efforts. We’ll provide you with creative ideas and give you all the support and encouragement you need to step it up.