EVENT DAY: Saturday, January 21, 2012
LOCATION: One Penn Plaza, 242 West 34th Street, New York, NY 10019
CHECK-IN: Begins at 9:00 am
EVENT BEGINS: 10:00 am - first climber begins
Getting to One Penn Plaza
One Penn Plaza is in midtown Manhattan immediately west of Madison Square Garden. If you are driving, there are numerous parking lots in the area of MSG/Penn Station. The area is very accessible via public transportation—the LIRR, New Jersey Transit, and many subway lines are accessible via Penn Station.
Upon arrival, the building will be accessible via the 33rd Street entrance. From Penn Station, walk west on 33rd Street approximately 150 yards and the building will be on your right. There will be volunteers on both 33rd and 34th Street to guide you.
Participant Check-in will begin at 9:00am in the building lobby. At check-in you will receive a packet that includes your bib number, timing chip and instructions for proper chip use. You may also turn in any checks or cash that you have received.
It is suggested that climbers wear comfortable clothing appropriate for a cardio workout. The stairwells are indoors and may be warm (i.e. dress light).
There will be a bag check area in the lobby of One Penn Plaza. You will need to secure the tear tag (attached to your bib number) to your bag. Bags will be continually monitored by Fight for Air Climb volunteers and staff, but please do not bring valuables to the event.
It is required that you securely attach your bib number to the front of your shirt with the safety pins provided at the check-in table. All climbers must display their bib number during the event. Your bib number also serves as your entry pass to receive your t-shirt.
Tips to have your time accurately recorded:
Race bib is clearly visible on the front of the torso
Race bib is unaltered and unmodified (do not fold or wrinkle)
Race bib is pinned in all four corners
Race bib is not covered (jackets, shirts, etc.)
The timing chip will be distributed in your check-in packet. The timing chip is to be worn around your right wrist. DO NOT REMOVE THE CHIP FROM THE BAND. Participants who climb without a timing chip will not register an official time. Volunteers will collect timing chips just after you cross the finish line at the top of One Penn Plaza. Please ensure that you do not leave the event with your timing chip.
The Fight for Air Climb begins at 10:00am. Climbers will start in 15 second intervals. The first group will be elite climbers, then all teams in alphabetical order, followed by all individual registrants, and finishing with all firefighters. Start times can be found here. Please make sure you are present at least 15 minutes before your assigned start time so that you can start as assigned. Because of the timing, it will be extremely difficult to later insert climbers who miss their assigned start time.
One Penn Plaza is 750 feet and 57 stories tall. The Climb will be 55 floors via stairs that go in a clockwise direction, 22 steps between floors. There are landings on each floor and half landings between floors. On the outside wall the handrail is 35" high. The inside is open and the handrail is 37 inches high. (Both measured vertically up from the center of the tread). There are 41 inches between the rails. The tread is 43-1/2" wide. The average rise is 7-5/8". The tread depth is 10-1/2".
The floors are well numbered and the 21st, 35th, and 41st floors will have rest stops and water available. Volunteer stairwell monitors will be stationed along the way to assist if needed.
Every person climbing, whether registered as an individual or on a team, will start individually at 15 second intervals. Climbers will stage in the lobby area in numerical order by bib number. Volunteers will be on hand to assist you. Faster climbers should let slower climbers know when they are passing. A common courtesy would then be for the slower climber to move to the outside and let the faster climber pass on the inside. Please climb single file to allow people to pass easily. You may take as much time as you wish—no need to go faster than you’re comfortable! When you finish, the chip will record your official time. If you cannot complete the climb, volunteers will be stationed throughout the stairwells to assist you. When you have reached the top, volunteers will remove your timing chip, and you may get a drink and take the elevator down to the lobby and the afterparty.
[Early promotion for the Fight for Air Climb stated that the course was 40 floors, therefore, if you wish, you may exit at the 41st floor, but note that by doing so you will not get an official time.]
Medical staff will be on-site for those who may need any assistance throughout the event. In case of an emergency, contact the closest volunteer to reach the emergency medical personnel.
Water stations and rest stops will be available on the 21st, 35th, 41st floors and at the finish line. Please feel free to stop and rest on the landings or at any water station. The stairwell is well-ventilated, creating more than adequate clean air circulation for this event. Volunteer stairwell monitors will be stationed along the way to assist if needed.
Water is NOT allowed in the stairwell. There are plenty of water stations along the way to get adequate water. This rule is for your safety and the safety of other climbers. We do not want anyone slipping on a water spill.
Restrooms are located in the lobby of One Penn Plaza.
Official event times for every participant will be available at our afterparty site, The Local, and will be posted on the Fight for Air Climb website on Monday, January 23.
The awards ceremony will take place at The Local following the event, located immediately west of the Fight for Air Climb location. The Local will open at 11:00 am and a special menu will be available from which to purchase food. The presentation of awards will begin approximately one hour after the last climber finishes (time is subject to change).
Individual awards will be handed out for the top overall male and female climbers, the top three men and women in each age category: 18 and Under, 19-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60+, and fastest firefighter. Team Challenge awards for Fastest Team (3 individuals), Fastest Fire Department Team (5 individuals), and Largest Team will also be presented at this time.
FUNDRAISING & PRIZES
Fundraising Minimum Commitment
As a condition of participating in the Fight for Air Climb, you agreed to pay a $25 registration fee and meet the a $100 fundraising minimum.
Please note that the $25 registration fee does not count toward your fundraising total or incentive prize.
We encourage you to use the online fundraising tools available on our website. During the online registration process you chose a username and password that will give you access to the Participant Center, which offers user-friendly tools to gain support from you friends, family and co-workers.
- Most donations will be paid securely by credit card online through your personal fundraising page. However, you can collect cash or check donations directly from your supporters. Please send in any offline donations as soon as you receive them. Please indicate that the funds are for the Fight for Air Climb and be sure to include your name or a team name so that we know who should receive credit for the donations. We will send acknowledgement letters to cash and check donors via regular mail. Please include your donors' mailing addresses so we can mail their acknowledgments. You can download our pledge spreadsheet to keep track of your pledges. All donations are tax deductible.
- We will be accepting cash, checks, and all major credit cards at check-in.
- You may continue fundraising after the event day. In fact, we encourage you to let everyone know what a wonderful time you had at the Fight for Air Climb and that you are continuing your fundraising in the weeks following the event. Donations can be mailed or delivered to:
American Lung Association of New York, Attn: Fight for Air Climb
21 W. 38th St., New York, NY 10018
ALA’s Tax ID# 26-2818624
- All climbers who have raised $500 or more are eligible to earn a premium performance dry wick long sleeve shirt. You may claim your incentive at registration. Please note that the $25 registration fee does not count toward your fundraising total or incentive prize.
- The premium performance dry wick long sleeve shirt can be earned by fundraising through 5pm on Friday, February 3, 2012. Participants who qualify after the event will be mailed their incentive.
- If you wish that 100% of your fundraising total be applied to the American Lung Association’s programs and services, you may choose NOT to redeem your incentive.
- All top individual and team fundraising awards will be presented after the February 3 fundraising deadline.