Stair climbing is a great sport that improves the fitness level of each participant and burns more calories than walking or running. To climb successfully, the American Lung Association strongly urges all participants to train before embarking on the ascent.
To help you prepare, please contact your climb event manager for information about exercises and training plans to help you do your best. Below are a few tips to get you started:
Always warm up your muscles and stretch before you begin.
- Pick a tempo that feels right to you and stick with it. Once you get the steps down, you can begin working with a quicker pace.
- Place your entire foot on the step each time you climb. Keep your arms by your sides or hold onto the handrails.
- Keep a bottle of water at the top of the stairs so you don’t have to carry it with you. Have a snack available if you feel low on energy.
- Listen to music! It will help propel you up the stairs.
- Cool down. Take a quick walk and stretch major muscle groups.
As always, be sure to consult your physician before beginning any new fitness routine.