Across the country people are stepping up and tackling stairclimbs. The American Lung Association has led the way in developing these one-of-a-kind events. If you want to have fun and challenge yourself, join the Fight for Air Climb today! Create a team of friends, family or co-workers and compete together. Whether your goal is just to reach the top or to be the first to cross finish line – you will walk away with a newfound respect for your lungs.
What are you waiting for? It’s your legs versus the stairs, so breathe in, step up and get ready to experience the climb of your life!
- Participants will climb 40 floors of the Metropolitan Square Building. (Each floor consists of 8-12 steps, a platform and an additional 8-12 steps.)
- Participants can fundraise and climb as an individual or on a team.
- All participants will be professionally timed and ranked by timing chips.
- All participants will receive an event t-shirt after crossing the finish line.
- Incentives will be given to top fundraisers.
- Each participant and team is strongly encouraged to create a personalized fundraising page through the event Web site.
- Donations (cash, check and credit card) can be turned in at the donation table on event day.
- Each participant must achieve the minimum fundraising goal of $100 to pick-up bib number.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Visit Directions for information.
START TIMES/BIB NUMBERS
- Arrive at least 30 minutes before your assigned start time. (Team members will be assigned start times in succession to each other.)
- If you did not get your bib number at a bib pick-up, visit the bib pick-up table in the lobby.
- Display your bib number on the front of your shirt at all times during the event. (Exception: First responders may use string or tape.)
- Line up in numerical bib order prior to your start time. Line monitors will be available to assist you.
- Climbers will be sent into the stairwell in 9-second intervals.
- Start times are not flexible.
- It is suggested you wear comfortable clothing appropriate for a cardio workout, including running, walking or cross training shoes.
- Some teams wear matching shirts or dress in a theme.
- A key check table will be provided for car keys. All other items should be left at home, in your car or with a non-climber.
- Items cannot be held or stored for you by event staff.
- The American Lung Association will not be responsible for any items lost or stolen.
- Stay to the right of the stairwell.
- Pass on the left, and announce “passing.”
- No water bottles are allowed in the stairwell. (Water will be available on break floors 9, 21 and 29.)
- If you wear ear buds or head phones, please wear only one side.
- Climbing a stairwell multiple times and/or going down the stairs is strictly prohibited.
- You may run, you may walk, but please don't crawl. If you must exit in case of an emergency or you are unable to complete the climb, please seek security, volunteer or medical staff for assistance to be properly escorted.
I CLIMB BECAUSE BANNER
Are you climbing in honor or memory of someone or for a specific cause? Declare it on our “I Climb Because Banner” with our markers and your photos.
Guests are encouraged to accompany you in the lobby and After Party; however, they are not allowed in the stairwell, elevators or finish line.
- Celebrate your accomplishments with teammates and supporters at the After Party on 6th St. just outside the Metropolitan Square Building.
- Tony Patrico from 105.7 The Point will emcee and DJ.
- All climbers and volunteers 21+ will receive one free beer. Additional beer can be purchased for a $5 donation.
- Light refreshments will be provided for all climbers and volunteers.
- Preliminary and final results will scroll on 32” HD monitors at the After Party.
- Final results will be available on the Homepage (http://www.lung.org/pledge-events/mo/st-louis-climb-fy13/) and at Fleet Feet (www.fleetfeetstl.com) following the event.
1st place female & 1st place male in the following age groups:
- 15 & Under
1st place regardless of gender:
- First Responder – On Air
- First Responder – Off Air
- First Responder – Uniformed Services
Fastest Climber – Female
Fastest Climber – Male
Fastest First Responder Team – On Air
Fastest First Responder Team – Off Air
Fastest First Responder Team – Uniformed Services
Top 3 Fundraiser – Individual
Top 3 Fundraiser – Corporate Team
Top 3 Fundraiser – Family & Friends Team
Top 3 Fundraiser – First Responder Team