Each year, too many lives are lost to lung disease and this is your chance to climb, raise money and make an impact in their honor. By joining the Fight for Air Climb, you are making the commitment to fight lung disease so everyone can breathe easier- including you!
Families, individuals and teams join together in a climb & run/walk to raise awareness for the 35 million Americans who suffer from asthma. Participants work together to fundraise.
Please join the thousands of individuals across the nation who believe in the cause and will climb in their communities as well.
You can get involved by:
- Registering as a Team Captain
- Joining an existing Team as a new registrant
- Signing up as an individual registrant
- Sponsoring the event
- Joining the event planning committee
- Making a contribution supporting a registrant
Join us for one of the most unique event in Wichita On April 21, 2012, hundreds of people will huff and puff their way up and down Cessna Stadium or run a 5k throughout the campus of Wichita State University for a great cause. Whether climbing for a winning time or simply to cross the finish line, in honor or in memory of someone with lung disease, this event is a great way to challenge yourself physically. We guarantee that all finishers will have a newfound respect for healthy lungs!
Important: Please review the information about the minimum fundraising amount and how to register.
- Participants can fundraise and climb as an individual or make it more fun and form a team.
- All participants are professionally timed and ranked by timing chips.
- Participants will choose what route they will register for.
~Route 1: 1 lap= 43.7 floors for Climber
~Route 2: 3 lap = 110 floors in Memory of World Trade Center for Fire Fighters and “Thrill Seekers”. (Click here for more info.)
~Route 3: 5k run/walk through out Wichita State University for Runners and Walkers.
~Route 4: 1 lap = 43.7 floors and 5k run/walk for Climbers and Runners.
The registration fee for CLIMBERS is $25. The minimum fundraising goal for all participants is $75. Registration fee and minimum fundraising goal are required to participate in the event.
- The registration fee for CLIMBERS/5K is $40. The minimum fundraising goal for all participants is $75. Registration fee and minimum fundraising goal are required to participate in the event.
- The registration fee for 5K is $35. No minimum fundraising goal but encouraged.
- The registration fee is non-refundable should you choose not to climb or if you don't meet your fundraising minimum.
- Climbers will receive an official Wichita Fight for Air Climb t-shirt, goody-bag and refreshments.
- Fundraising incentives will be given to top fundraisers. Start early and you will easily reach your fundraising goal! The American Lung Association will be more than happy to help you accomplish your goal - just ask!
- Each participant and team is strongly encouraged to create a personalized fundraising page which is fun and easy to do through the Wichita Climb website.
- Awards will be given to the fastest climbers, top fundraisers and top teams the week following the event. Awards for 5K will be top three males and top three females.
- You can register as an individual, as a member of an existing team or as the captain of a new team.
- Teams must consist of at least three or more people (for timing purposes.) Please note that the TEAM CAPTAIN has to register on-line first before other team members can register.
Seeded Pass Request:
Males who have completed a 5K road race in 40 minutes or less, and females who have completed a 5K road race 40 minutes or less, may qualify for a pass to start at the front of the pack. Qualifiers must bring documentation from a 5K completed in the past 12 months to registration.
Why climb alone? Forming a Climb team is a fun way to share this event with family, friends and co-workers. Your team will support each other as you train, fundraise and complete the event together. When you all reach the top, the celebration will be all the more sweet. You can form a corporate team or a family team for this event. You can easily manage your team's progress from your team's personal webpage.
Team Benefits include:
~Opportunity to design special "team" shirts or costumes to wear on event day.
~The unbeatable support from your fellow team members as you climb up to the top of Cessna Stadium!!
~Fundraising coaching and support from Lung Association staff every step of the way.
- We encourage you to train appropriately to avoid injuries during this challenge.
- Utilizing a stair master or other equipment at your gym for a training alternative.
- Pacing yourself during the stair climb is key to successful completion.
- Drink plenty of water starting two days before the event and continue hydrating throughout the climb. Water stations will be strategically placed throughout the stadium during the event so that you will stay hydrated for your climb.
- You may bring a heart rate monitor if you wish to use it for this event.
- Please arrive at least one hour prior to your start time.
- For those who did not come to packet pick up, please be sure to visit the "Bib & Timing Chip Table" in the entrance of Cessna Stadium to check-in the morning of the event.
- Check-in begins at 7:30 AM. The climb actually begins at 8:15 AM. The 5K begins at 9:30 AM.
- Your timing chip will coincide with your bib number, which will be distributed to you the morning of the event at the "Bib & Timing Chip Table" in the entrance of Cessna Stadium (unless otherwise requested by your team for early pickup.)
- Your bib number must be displayed at all times during the event.
- While climbing, if you notice that you are faster than other participants, please PASS TO THE LEFT OF THOSE PARTICIPANTS.
- You may run, you may walk, but please don't crawl! If you must exit in case of an emergency or you are unable to complete the climb, please seek security, volunteer or medical staff for assistance to be properly escorted.
- It is suggested that you wear comfortable clothing, appropriate for an intense cardio workout.
- Proper shoes are essential. Running, walking or cross training shoes are key to a successful climb.
- Don't forget your team pride and spirit! It is required that you securely attach your bib number to the front of your t-shirt. (Exception: Firefighters and anyone else in uniform may use string.)
- The American Lung Association will not be responsible for any items that are lost or stolen.
- There will be a key-check table for car keys but other items should be left at home or in your car. However, Firefighters and Police can climb in full gear.
Timing Results and Awards for Climbers
- Overall fastest male
- Overall fastest female
- Overall highest fundraising team
Age Groups Awards (for both females and males who place 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in each age group for doing only 1 lap):
- 19 and younger
- 20 - 29
- 30 - 39
- 40 - 49
- 50 - 59
- 60 - 69
- 70 +
Firefighter Awards in Full Gear:
- 1st, 2nd, 3rd Fastest Individuals
- Fire Fighting Largest Team
- Fire Fighting Highest Fundraising Team
Firefighter & Police Awards in Plain Clothes:
- 1st, 2nd, 3rd Fastest Individuals
- Fire/Police Largest Team
- Fire/Police Highest Fundraising Team
Thrill Seekers Challenge: Awards will be given to the top 3 fastest Male and Female.