Climb/Walk/Run Event Information
Each year, too many lives are lost to lung disease and this is your chance to climb, raise money and make an impact in their honor. By joining the Fight for Air Climb, you are making the commitment to fight lung disease so everyone can breathe easier - including you!
- Join us for one of the most unique events in Kansas City! On November 10, 2012, hundreds of people will huff and puff their way to the top of the Kansas Speedway in Kansas City, KS for a great cause.
- This is more than your same-old 5-K. The 2012 American Lung Association’s Fight for Air Stair Climb is going to be a unique challenge.
- Participants will have a choice this year to climb 45 stories using a zig-zag pattern through the raceway’s grandstand area, or
- Run/walk a 5K around the racetrack itself! Strollers and small children welcome!
- For those participants who feel compelled to take on both challenges they are more than welcome!
- We guarantee that all finishers will have a newfound respect for healthy lungs!
Important: All participants must be registered and have a minimum of $100 in fundraising received by November 7, 2012 to be officially entered into the race.
- Participants can fundraise and climb as an individual or make it more fun and form a team.
- All participants are professionally timed and ranked by timing chips.
- The registration fee is $25. The minimum fundraising goal for all participants is $100. Registration fee and minimum fundraising goal are required to participate in the event. The registration fee is non-refundable should you choose not to climb or if you don't meet your fundraising minimum.
- Climbers will receive an official Kansas City Fight for Air Climb t-shirt, goody-bag and refreshments.
- Fundraising incentives will be given to top fundraisers. Start early and you will easily reach your fundraising goal! The American Lung Association will be more than happy to help you accomplish your goal - just ask!
- Each participant and team is strongly encouraged to create a personalized fundraising page which is fun and easy to do through the Kansas City Climb website.
- Awards will be given to the fastest climbers, top fundraisers and top teams the week following the event.
- You can register as an individual, as a member of an existing team or as the captain of a new team.
- Please note that the TEAM CAPTAIN has to register on-line first before other team members can register.
Why climb alone? Forming a Climb team is a fun way to share this event with family, friends and co-workers. Your team will support each other as you train, fundraise and complete the event together. When you all reach the top, the celebration will be all the more sweet. You can form a corporate team or a family team for this event. You can easily manage your team's progress from your team's personal webpage.
Team Benefits include:
~Coordinated start times so all team members can climb together.
~Opportunity to design special "team" shirts or costumes to wear on event day.
~The unbeatable support from your fellow team members as you climb and run the Kansas Speedway!!
~Fundraising coaching and support from Lung Association staff every step of the way.
- We encourage you to train appropriately to avoid injuries during this challenge. Training in a safe, well ventilated stairwell is ideal.
- Utilizing a stair master or other equipment at your gym for a training alternative.
- Pacing yourself during the stair climb is key to successful completion.
- Drink plenty of water starting two days before the event and continue hydrating throughout the climb. Water stations will be strategically placed in the stairwells during the event so that you will stay hydrated for your climb to the around the raceway track and up the grandstand stairs to the top.
- You may bring a heart rate monitor if you wish to use it for this event.
- Please arrive at least one hour prior to your start time.
- For those who did not come to packet pick up, please be sure to visit the "Bib & Timing Chip Table" at the gate entrance of the Kansas Speedway to check-in the morning of the event.
- Check-in begins at 8 AM. The climb actually begins at 9 AM and bib numbers will be assigned with start times in 10-second intervals.
- Your timing chip will coincide with your start time and bib number, which will be distributed to you the morning of the event at the "Bib & Timing Chip Table" in the gate entry on the west side of the track (unless otherwise requested by your team for early pickup.)
- Your bib number must be displayed at all times during the event.
- Individuals are responsible for returning their Timing Chips! Participants will be billed for the replacement value of unreturned chips.
- All climbers should be in numerical bib order prior to your start time. Line monitors will assist you. Climbers will proceed in 10-second intervals. Start times are not flexible.
- Climbing a stairwell multiple times, or going "down the stairs" is strictly prohibited.
- While climbing, if you notice that you are faster than other participants, please PASS TO THE LEFT OF THOSE PARTICIPANTS.
- You may run, you may walk, but please don't crawl! If you must exit in case of an emergency or you are unable to complete the climb, please seek security, volunteer or medical staff for assistance to be properly escorted.
- DO NOT EXIT ANY FLOOR WITHOUT SECURITY PERSONNEL.
- It is suggested that you wear comfortable clothing, appropriate for an intense cardio workout
- Proper shoes are essential. Running, walking or cross training shoes are key to a successful climb.
- Don't forget your team pride and spirit! It is required that you securely attach your bib number to the front of your t-shirt. (Exception: Firefighters and anyone else in uniform may use string.)
- The American Lung Association will not be responsible for any items that are lost or stolen.
- There will be a key-check table for car keys but other items should be left at home or in your car. However, Firefighters and Police can climb in full gear.
Timing Results and Awards
- Overall fastest male
- Overall fastest female
- 1st, 2nd, 3rd fastest team
- Overall highest fundraising team
- Overall largest team (Teams must consist of at least three people. For larger teams, team ranking will be based on the finishing time of your top three climbers.)
Age Groups Awards (for both females and males who place 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in each age group):
- 19 and younger
- 20 - 29
- 30 - 39
- 40 - 49
- 50 - 59
- 60 - 69
- 70 +
Firefighter Awards in Full Gear:
- Fire Fighting Fastest Team
- 1st, 2nd, 3rd Fastest Individuals
- Fire Fighting Largest Team
- Fire Fighting Highest Fundraising Team
Firefighter & Police Awards in Plain Clothes:
- Fire/Police Fastest Team
- 1st, 2nd, 3rd Fastest Individuals
- Fire/Police Largest Team
- Fire/Police Highest Fundraising Team