Calling all firefighters! Step up and be a part of the Firefighter Relay Challenge! Firefighters will once again have the opportunity to participate in the Fight for Air Climb. Form a team of firefighters from your department and climb the Hub Tower, EMC Insurance Companies and the Des Moines Marriott Downtown in your FULL TURN OUT GEAR.
Firefighters from all over Iowa participate in the Fight for Air Climb annually. Not only is this a great training exercise and personal challenge, it is also a great way to build team camaraderie and join together in an effort to raise valuable funds and awareness for the American Lung Association. The career and volunteer firefighter traveling trophies will be awarded after the event.
Rules & Regulations
In the best interest of competition and to make this event as fair as possible, the following guidelines have been established. These categories are the mandatory requirements to qualify for awards. These guidelines will be monitored on an honor system. If a complaint is filed with the Fight For Air Climb Manager, it will be investigated. If it is deemed that an infraction has occurred, that competitor's time will be removed from the overall teams qualifying times. Any tools you may bring into the stairwell must make the journey up with you.
In order to qualify, the following guidelines must be adhered to:
- RELAY TEAM - You must have a three members to compete as a team. Each member is only allowed to climb one building.
- INDIVIDUAL PARTICIPANT - Firefighters may participate as an individual firefigher in full gear.
- PPE - Must be structural firefighting gear adhering to NFPA 1971. Both coat and pants MUST have the liner in place. Failure to have a liner will result in disqualifying your time. Pants must also be worn. ¾ coats will be permissible.
- BOOTS - All boots must be structural firefighting boots. Rubber, leather, & lace up boots will be permitted, provided they are fire rated. NO station boots will be permitted when qualifying for the trophy. Again, boots must be structural firefighting boots.
- GLOVES - Gloves will be optional. They do not directly affect the outcome of the race.
- HELMET & HOOD - Helmets are mandatory, hoods will be optional.
- AIR TANK - An air tank must be worn the entire climb in order to qualify your time for awards. It is recommended that they be full, though this will not be policed. Bear in mind the spirit of the event is that no firefighter would make the climb with an empty bottle if a fire were at the top. Unfortunately, due to the various sizes, capacities, makes, and department standards there will be no official size or weight set for the air tank. Therefore the only requirement is that one be worn for the entire climb.
- MASK - Masks are optional. Time will be counted whether you are on air or not.
- UNDERLAYERS - Optional but it is recommended that some sort of clothing be worn.
- EMS - Any EMS team is more than welcome in the firefighting competition provided they meet the above requirements.
Timing - If you are participating on a relay team, the timing chip will be clipped to your baton. If you are participating as an individual, you will be timed using an electronic chip that is clipped on the bottom of your bunker pants or your boots.
- Traveling Relay Team Trophy (Career Firefighters)
- Traveling Relay Team Trophy (Volunteer Firefighters)
- Fastest Individual Firefighter in full gear, three building climb (Career Firefighter)
- Fastest Individual Firefighter in full gear, three building climb (Volunteer Firefighter)