Each year, too many lives are lost to lung disease and this is your chance to climb, raise money and make an impact in their honor. By joining the Fight for Air Climb Miami, you're making the commitment to fight lung disease so everyone can breathe easier- including you!
Families, individuals, firefighters and teams join together in a stair climb to raise awareness for the 35 million Americans who suffer from asthma. During the months prior to the Fight For Air Climb Miami, participants not only get their bodies and lungs in shape by training, they also work together to fundraise so that lung disease can be prevented and so that lung health can be promoted!
Please join the thousands of individuals across the nation who believe in the cause and will climb in their communities as well.
Interested? Please get invloved by:
- Registering as a Team Captain
- Joining an existing team as a new registrant
- Signing up as an individual registrant
- Sponsoring the event
- Joining the event planning committee (please complete the linked form, and email to email@example.com if interested in joining the planning committee)
- Making a contribution supporting a participant
General Event Information
- Interested participants may register for the 2012 Fight For Air Climb Miami at any time on the www.fightforairclimbmiami.org website.
- Click here for registration instructions!
- The climb will be held on Saturday, April 14th, 2012 at the Southeast Financial Center in downtown Miami.
- Event day check-in/registration will open at 7:30 AM and the first climber will begin at 8:30 AM.
- Participants will begin the climb in 15-30 second intervals, and will be assigned a specific start time.
- Start times will be emailed to participants and posted on the event website the week of the event.
- The race is professionally timed by Alta Vista Sports and the top 3 participants and teams in specific age and gender categories will be awarded with personalized plaques. Plaques are mailed to the winning participants & teams within 2-4 weeks of the event.
- The top fundraising individuals and teams will also receive personalized plaques.
- ALL participants will receive a medal and an official event t-shirt for their participation and support!
- For more information regarding awards including age categories, please visit the FAQ page.
- After participants make their way to the top of the Southeast Financial Center, we invite them to head down to the building's courtyard and enjoy music, food and entertainment!
- We encourage participants to invite friends and family members to attend the event for a $10 spectator fee! Spectators have access to the top floor to support participants and take photos as climbers cross the finish line. Spectators also get to enjoy all of the food, drinks, and entertainment at the post-climb party!
Directions & Parking
The Southeast Financial Center is located at the following address:200 S. Biscayne Blvd.Miami, FL 33131
To obtain directions to the building click here and type in personal address.
The Southeast Financial Center is comprised of 2 attached buildings, one of which is a 15-story annex building that houses the parking garage. Parking will be free in the Southeast Financial Center parking garage the day of the event, and all event participants are urged to park there for cost and convenience purposes. Should participants decide to park elsewhere, the American Lung Association will not be responsible for parking fees.
Training, Preparation and Event Day Climbing Information
The 2012 Fight For Air Climb will be anywhere between 50-55 stories, depending on the space availability of the Southeast Financial Center. The American Lung Association enourages participants to begin training for this intense athletic event at least 4 weeks in advance. Arrangements have been made with the Southeast Financial Center for registered participants to practice climbing the official event stairwell. The building will be open for training every Tuesday & Thursday from 7:00-9:00 AM and from 5:00-7:00 PM starting on January 3rd, 2012. Utilizing a stair master at your gym is another training alternative.
Registered participants should start drinking plenty of water at least 2 days before the event to ensure proper hydration. Water stations will be strategically placed in the stairwells during the event to keep participants hydrated. Emergency medical staff and volunteers will be placed on designated floors of the stairwell for your safety and convenience during the event. If a participant notices that they're climbing faster than others, they should pass to the outside. Participants may bring a heart rate monitor, ipods, mp3 players, etc. to use during the climb if desired. We advise participants to wear comfortable clothing, appropriate for a cardio workout, as well as proper shoes including (but not limited to) running, walking, or cross-training shoes.
As a registered participant, you're responsible for raising a minimum of $100 on top of your registration fee to be eligible to climb. This is easier than you think! Its as simple as asking 10 friends for $10. Once you register, you'll also gain access to your own personal fundraising page, which allows you to fundraise via email with the click of a "Send" button! Please contact our office for more details by calling (954) 745-8409.
Donations are tax deductible to the extent allowed by the law. The American Lung Association ® is a registered 501 (c) 3 organization.
If sending in donations in the form of checks, please make sure they have been made payable to the American Lung Association of Florida and send to:
American Lung Association of Florida
Attn: Dana Filetti, Fight for Air Climb Miami
2020 S. Andrews Ave.
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316
Check out the Fundraising Tips page found under the "Get Involved" tab on the website's homepage. If you need additional help meeting your fundraising goal, please contact Dana Filetti at 954-745-8409 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The American Lung Association staff is happy to help coach and provide fast and efficient ideas to help you reach your fundraising goal. An event information and fundraising packet is also available to help you reach your fundraising minimum, and will be mailed to you within 2 weeks of completing your online registration.