Each year, too many lives are lost to lung disease and this is your chance to climb, raise money and make an impact in their honor. By joining the Fight for Air Climb, you are making the commitment to fight lung disease so everyone can breathe easier- including you!
Join us for one of the most unique events in Delaware! On Saturday, November 3, 2012 hundreds of people will huff and puff their way to the top of 1201 N. Market Street - Delaware's Tallest Building - for a great cause. This is more than your same-old 5K. This event is a vertical challenge to climb 21 floors - 500 steps. Feeling really challenged? Do it twice and be part of our KILO Climbers Challenge. Whether climbing for a winning time or simply to cross the finish line in honor or in memory of someone with lung disease, this event is a great way to challenge yourself physically. We guarantee that all finishers will have a newfound respect for healthy lungs!**
**Important: All participants must be registered and have a minimum of $100 in fundraising received by November 3, 2012 (event day) in order to climb. Incentives and awards will be given to those who fundraise at higher levels.
**Rates for Day Of Registration will increase to $30 for Open Climbers and $40 for Kilo Climbers.
You can get involved by:
- Registering as a Team Captain
- Joining an existing Team as a new registrant
- Signing up as an individual registrant
- Sponsoring the event
- Joining the event planning committee or volunteering the day of the event
- Making a contribution supporting a registrant
- Participants can fundraise and climb as an individual or make it more fun and form a team
- All participants are professionally timed and ranked by timing chips
- The registration fee is $25 ($35 for Kilo Climbers who climb twice.) The minimum fundraising goal for all participants is $100. Registration fee in addition to the $100 minimum fundraising goal are required to participate in the event. The registration fee is non-refundable should you choose not to climb or if you do not meet your fundraising minimum
- Climbers will receive an official 2012 Fight For Air Climb t-shirt, goody-bag and refreshments at the post-party event
- Fundraising incentives will be given to top fundraisers. Start early and you will easily reach your fundraising goal! The American Lung Association will be more than happy to help you accomplish your goal - just ask!!!
- Each participant and team is strongly encouraged to create a personalized fundraising page which is fun and easy to do through the 2012 Fight For Air website
- Awards will be given in numerous different categories at the post-event
- One Climb - Registered Climber: 21 Floors / 500 Steps
- KILO Climber: 42 Floors / 1,000 Steps
**Please Note: A multiple climb is intended to be consecutive. Elevator time will be removed from timing results.
You can register as an individual, as a member of an existing team or as the captain of a new team. Teams must consist of at least three or more people (for timing purposes.) Please note that the TEAM CAPTAIN has to register online first before other team members can register.
Team Overview: Why climb alone? Forming a Climb team is a fun way to share this event with family, friends and coworkers. Your team will support each other as you train, fundraise and complete the event together. When you all reach the top, the celebration will be all the more sweet. You can form a corporate team or a family team for this event. You can easily manage your team's progress from your team's personal webpage.
Team benefits include:
- Coordinated start times so all team members can climb together
- The unbeatable support from your fellow team members as you climb up 21 or possibly 42 floors to the top of 1201 N. Market Street!!!
Team Categories & Awards
Awards will be given in the following categories:
- Overall fastest male and female climbers
- Overall fastest team (there must be 4 members on a team to qualify for this award)
- Overall largest team
- Overall 1st, 2nd, 3rd place - Kilo Climbers
- 1st, 2nd, 3rd place plaques for top fundraising team
- 1st, 2nd, 3rd place plaques for top fundraising individuals
Age groups will be awarded as follows (for both females and males who place 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in each age group)
- 12 and under
First Responder Awards in Full Gear:
- Fire Department & Police Department Fastest Team
- 1st, 2nd, 3rd Fastest Individuals
$100 fundraising minimum is required prior to event day in order to participate in the Fight For Air Climb. This is easier than you think! It is as easy as asking 10 friends for $10. Coaching packets and trainings are available by calling Sue or Cathy at 302-737-6414. We encourage climbers to create a personal fundraising page where friends and family can donate directly online. We also will be positing daily fundraising tips on our Delaware Fight For Air Facebook page and through weekly e-Newsletter communications.
Donations can be handed in on the day of the event; however, to be eligible for fundraising awards at the awards ceremony, all money must be turned in prior to Friday, November 2 at 4pm.
Donations are tax deductible to the extent allowed by the law. The American Lung Association ® is a registered 501 (c) 3 organization. Please make checks payable to the American Lung Association in Delaware.
A fundraising packet is available to help you reach your fundraising minimum. Check out the "Fundraising Help" page on the main menu. If you need additional help in meeting the fundraising minimum requirement, please contact our office at 302-737-6414 or email Sue DeNardo at email@example.com or Cathy Erhardt at firstname.lastname@example.org. The ALA staff is happy to help coach and provide fast and efficient ideas to reach your fundraising requirement.
- We encourage you to train appropriately to avoid injuries during this challenge. Training in a safe, well ventilated stairwell is ideal
- Utilizing a stairmaster or other equipment at your gym for training is an alternative
- Pacing yourself during the stair climb is key to a successful completion
- Drink plenty of water starting 2 days before the event and continue hydrating throughout the climb. Water stations will be strategically placed in the stairwells during the event so that you will stay hydrated for your climb to the top.
- You may bring a heart rate monitor and an iPod if you wish to use for the event
Event Day Information
- Start Times: Participants will receive their start times prior to the event via email. Registration will begin as early as 7:00am Announcements will begin at 8:00am and the Climb begins at 8:30am. Participants should arrive 1 hour before their start time. Start times will be assigned in waves. Teams will be assigned the same waves. Climbers will climb individually on 10 second intervals in their wave time.
- Packet Pick-Up: Packet Pick-Up will be held in the Lobby of 1201 N. Market Street beginning at 7:30 AM on event day.
- Timing Chips/Bibs: Your timing chips will coincide with your start time and bib number, which will be distributed to you at Packet Pick-Up prior to the event.
- Gear Check/Bag Drop: There will be a place available for all participants on the day event to "check" belongings while climbing. Check-in and check-out will require a bib number. Please leave any valuable items at home, as we cannot be responsible for any lost or stolen items at the event.
- Water Stations: Water stations will be located on Floors 5, 10, 15, 20 and at the top. Water bottles are not allowed in the stairwells as it is a safety hazard.
- Appropriate Attire: Wear comfortable clothing, appropriate for an intense cardio workout. Proper shoes are essential. Running, walking or cross-training shoes are key to a successful climb. It is required that you attach your bib to the front of your t-shirt.
- Passing on a Stairwell: All climbers will be climbing on the right of the stairwell. Please PASS TO THE LEFT OF PARTICIPANTS.
- Exiting a Stairwell: You may run, you may walk, but please don't crawl! If you must exit in case of an emergency or you are unable to complete the climb, please seek a volunteer who will be stationed on every floor. They can seek security/medical assistance to escort you out appropriately. Do not exit any floor without security personnel.
- Awards and Post-Event Celebration: Immediately following the Climb, family, friends, and climbers are encouraged to attend the Post Event Celebration which will be located in the lobby of 1201 N. Market Street. There will be food, beverage, music and awards. All climbers receive a t-shirt and goodie bag at the Post Event Celebration.
CLICK HERE for directions. For more information, contact our office at 302-737-6414.
There is a Parking Garage located directly under the building. Complimentary parking, courtesy of McConnell Johnson Real Estate, will be available for all event participants and attendees the day of the event. Overflow parking is available in the open lot at 12th & Market Street.
Thank you to Colonial Parking for donating the parking attendant's time at 1201 N. Market Street building and at 12th & Market.
Looking for a place to stay? The Sheraton Suites Wilmington will be offering a $99 rate on Friday and Saturday evening to all Fight For Air Climb guests and they will be generously donating 10% of the proceeds back to the American Lung Association.
Sheraton Suites Wilmington
422 Delaware Avenue
Wilmington, DE 19801
CLICK HERE To book your room for the discount at Sheraton Suites Wilmington.