If you are a team captain you can download the following files:
Fight for Air Events are a great way to bring people together to work toward a common goal.
WHAT IS A TEAM?
- Teams are created to ensure that climbers are grouped with other members of their family, friends, departments, or corporations. A team can consist of two people who wish to climb together, but all teams who wish to qualify for awards must have a minimum of five members. If teams are not created, participants will be grouped in order by registration date or climb pace.
- The team creator will automatically become a team captain through our online fundraising platform. A team may have more than one captain, which is a great way to share responsibilities.
- Teams can be classified as Corporate (meaning that they are representing a company or organization), Friends and Family or even Fire Fighter teams, Police Departments and more. However, we encourage all teams to be inclusive and recruit from many areas. Some of our best corporate teams consist of company members and their families and friends.
- Each team member is encouraged to raise money toward achieving a world free of lung disease.
- Monies raised by individuals on a team combine to make that team’s fundraising total.
WHAT DOES IT COST?
- There is no fee for registering a team, but each person is responsible for reaching their fundraising minimum of $100, in addition to the $35 registration fee.
- Teams may invest in team shirts, team jerseys, or other items, but those costs are at the discretion of the team or supporting company.
WHY DO WE LIKE TEAMS?
- Teams provide a way for groups to get involved with the American Lung Association and raise awareness of healthy lungs and air as well as the programs we offer.
- Teams provide a support mechanism for members during the training and fundraising season.
- Teams allow organizations to show their philanthropic spirit.
- Teams generate enthusiasm before, during, and after the event.
WHY SHOULD YOU FORM A TEAM?
- The best reason to form a team is to join the fight for healthy lungs and air! Money raised by our participants directly fund programs, services, research and advocacy.
- You want to join the fun. Not only is this a unique event in our community, your team gets to enjoy it together!
- Teams provide a way for people to come together. The Fight for Air events provide a common goal for team members to rally around.
- Team participation creates great community visibility for a company or organization.
- A team provides great motivation to reach a personal fitness goal while enjoying time with others.
- Teams can win great prizes for spirit, fundraising and participation!
WHAT TOOLS ARE IN PLACE TO ASSIST THE TEAM CAPTAIN?
New to the team concept? Let us help! There are many resources and events available to team captains:
- Web Tools: As a participant, you have access to great online tools that you and your team members can use to register, send email messages, request and track donations, and monitor progress. Build a web page for your team and have each team member create a personal page, too!
- Emails: We’ll help you through the process of being a team captain by providing you with regular emails tailored to help you with recruitment, organization, and fundraising.
- Internal kick offs and informational meetings: Our event managers/volunteers are always available to meet with you to help promote your team’s recruitment and fundraising efforts. We’ll provide you with creative ideas and give you all the support and encouragement you need to step it up.
TEAM TIPS ON HOW TO RAISE FUNDS:
- Moes, Bertucci’s Italian Restaurant, Friendly’s, California Pizza Kitchen, Chili’s, 99 Restaurant, Applebees, & Buffalo Wild Wings...These are just some restaurants that host proceeds nights for guests. If you have a branch near you, talk to them about hosting a bash of your own. Requirements are simple- They’ll give you flyers to distribute, and every flyer returned is money earned. We can even help spread the word through e-blasts and social media communications! If proceeds values exceed $250, the American Lung Association will be happy to include the business on the website, print materials, and event day signage.
- Create a Facebook Event Page for the team and send it around to coworkers, family members and friends. Explain the mission component and how to contribute online. Invite everyone to the after party!
- Host a boot camp/yoga/fitness training session for $5 per person at your local gym. The American Lung Association can help advertise through e-blasts & social media!
- Ask your local gym to seek dollar donations at the front desk. Make a display and post names of contributors: See if the gym can donate a free month membership, tanning, etc. to one lucky winner.
- Ask a local business to sponsor your team. All donations are tax deductible! If you know a specific company/ organization that might be willing to contribute, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss in-kind sponsorship options. ($250 or more)