Stair climbing is a great sport that improves the fitness level of each participant and burns more calories than walking or running. To climb successfully, the American Lung Association strongly urges all participants to train before embarking on the ascent.
Always warm up your muscles and stretch before you begin.
- Pick a tempo that feels right to you and stick with it. Once you get the steps down, you can begin working with a quicker pace.
- Place your entire foot on the step each time you climb. Keep your arms by your sides or hold onto the handrails.
- Keep a bottle of water at the top of the stairs so you don’t have to carry it with you. Have a snack available if you feel low on energy.
- Listen to music! It will help propel you up the stairs.
- Cool down. Take a quick walk and stretch major muscle groups.
As always, be sure to consult your physician before beginning any new fitness routine.
MAKING THIS A FITNESS CHALLENGE? WORRIED YOU MIGHT NOT BE FIT ENOUGH? IS THIS A NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION GOAL?
Whatever reasons you have to get fit for the Climb, we have resources to help!
WHERE CAN I TRAIN FOR THE CLIMB?
- Practice the stairs inside the Aon - As an added bonus for those registered for the Climb, the Aon Center opens their stairwells to practice climbs! Get a sneak peak of the same stairwell you’ll be climbing on April 6th. Download the Practice Climb Flyer for more details. (the link to the flyer is still valid, just make the title bold so it stands out more)
- Check out some of the Public Stairs across LA – Having trouble getting downtown to practice inside the Aon Center? No problem. Los Angeles is full of public stairs that you can train on. Check out this link for locations in your area.
- Train at a near-by school stadium
ARE YOU A CROSSFITTER? JOIN THE CROSSFIT CHALLENGE!
Fight for Air Climb is a true CrossFit event: utilitarian in nature and a no-fluff approach to fitness. When was the last time you incorporated close to 1,400 stairs inyour WOD? Anyone, anywhere, and at any fitness level can prepare for this uniquely competitive event. For all you die-hard CrossFitters, why not race to the top against some of the fastest stair climbers in the world or add a weighted vest to your climb to make it that much more challenging.
THINK YOU CAN BEAT LAST YEARS TIME OF 8:02?
What would an event be without a little competition? There are several categories in which individuals and affiliates can compete again other CrossFitters.
Local CrossFit Awards:
- Fastest Male
- Fastest Female
- Top CrossFit Fundraising Individual
- Top CrossFit Fundraising Team
Statewide CrossFit Awards:
- Affiliate with the Fastest Time
- Affiliate with the Most CrossFit Participants in Most Climbs Statewide
- Overall Top Affiliate Fundraisers Per Climb
- Top Affiliate Fundraisers Statewide
- Top Individual Fundraiser Statewide
Think you have what it takes? sign up today!