Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis
Making notes before your visit, as well as taking along a trusted family member or friend, can help you through the appointment with your doctor.
- I have been diagnosed with hypersensitivity pneumonitis due to an allergy to a workplace dust. Is it safe for me to continue working?
- Are there any work restrictions that I need to follow?
- Do I have to give up my pet birds?
- Should I avoid hot tubs?
- Can my family members get the disease if I have it?
- What tests will I need to confirm my diagnosis?
- How often should I get lung function tests?
- How often should I get chest X-rays and CT scans?
- Do I need to be on steroids?
- Should I use oxygen?
- Should I continue to receive flu shots and pneumonia shots?
- Is it safe for me to exercise?
- Are there any dietary precautions that I need to take?
- Do I have to take any special precautions for air travel?
- Where can I find more information about hypersensitivity pneumonitis?
This content was developed in partnership with the CHEST Foundation, the philanthropic arm of the American College of Chest Physicians.