Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS)
Making notes before your visit, as well as taking along a trusted family member or friend, can help you through the first appointment with your doctor.
- Have there been cases of hantavirus infections reported near my home or work environment?
- What are the common surroundings that are prone to rodent exposure (alleys, dark closed rooms, shrubs farm spaces)?
- Can pet mice and squirrels be infected?
- What are the most common HPS symptoms that should alarm me to seek evaluation and treatment?
- How many days does it take for symptoms of infection to become evident?
- How can I prevent infection?
This content was developed in partnership with the CHEST Foundation, the philanthropic arm of the American College of Chest Physicians.