Asthma Policy Resources
In addition to the American Lung Association, the following organizations offer tools that complement those in the Guide to Housing & School Asthma Policy and may help your local advocacy efforts. Through these sites, you should be able to find more in-depth information on specific topics as well as additional policy examples and templates.
- American Association of School Administrators
- Boston Public Housing Commission
- Boston Smokefree Homes
- Environmental Law Institute
- Environmental Protection Agency
- National Association of State Boards of Education
- National Association of School Nurses
- National Asthma Education and Prevention Program
- National Center for Healthy Housing
- U.S. Green Building Council
Resources, Reports and Tools
For additional support for your activities, look to the following websites for direct links to resources that will come in handy as you work on housing and school asthma policy change.
- Improving Access to Asthma Medication in Schools
- Air Quality Index
Find out your local air quality forecast.
- Asthma-Friendly Schools Initiative™ Success Stories
Read about the positive steps taken from schools nationwide that are creating asthma-friendly school environments for their students.
- Asthma-Friendly Schools Initiative™ Toolkit
Follow this step-by-step approach to creating a comprehensive asthma management plan for your school.
- Asthma Incidence Reporter
This database was created to help school nurses track student with asthma, their absences, medications and other pertinent data.
- EPA Indoor Air Quality Tools for Schools
Learn more about the tools and strategies your school can use to create a healthier learning environment for students, teachers, and staff.
- National Asthma Public Policy Agenda
The American Lung Association has outlined policy recommendations in six key areas that can make a difference in the fight against asthma.
- National Environmental Public Health Tracking Network
Find data from the CDC on health effects, environmental hazards, and chemical exposures that affect your community.
- NSBA State School Health Policy Brief: Summary and Analysis of Asthma Education, Medication, and Triggers (2005)
This report provides a summary of state policies on asthma management in schools.
- Smokefree Policies in Multi-Unit Housing: Steps for Success Online Curriculum
Take this free online training from the American Lung Association and receive additional tools and templates to support smokefree multi-unit housing.
Connect with community-based asthma partners to network, share resources, and learn about best practices.