The American Lung Association's Asthma Basics course is a free one-hour interactive online learning module designed to help people learn more about asthma. This course is ideal for frontline healthcare professionals, such as school nurses or community health workers, as well as individuals with asthma, parents of children with asthma, and co-workers, friends and family who want to learn more about asthma.
This program will teach participants to:
- Recognize and manage triggers,
- Understand the value of an asthma action plan, and
- Recognize and respond to a breathing emergency.
One of the highlights of this learning module is the animation What Is Asthma? that shows the three primary changes in the airways during an asthma episode.
Asthma Basics also includes comprehensive resources, including asthma medication devices and demonstration videos and downloads.
How to Register
Accessing this course is quick and easy via the Lung Association's LUNGsmart, our online learning platform.
- Register now by clicking "New User" and completing the short form. Use your email address as your username and create a password.
- To take the course, log back into LUNGsmart using your email/username and password. Click on the "Catalog" tab and from the "Catalog" page, select the Public Health Education category and locate the Asthma Basics course.
To participate on the online course, be sure that your computer meets the following criteria:
- Windows- or Macintosh-based PC
- Audio capability
- Adobe Flash Player 10 or later (download Adobe Flash)
- One of the following internet browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer 8 or later, Firefox 3.6x or later, Google Chrome 10.x or later
Macintosh: Safari 5 or later, Firefox 15.0 or later, Google Chrome 10.x or later
If you have any questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org with "LUNGsmart" in the subject line.