Order a Radon Test Kit
Short Term Radon Test Kits
- Should be used if you are doing a radon test for the first time.
- Should be used if you have done a short-term measurement before that reported elevated levels and you need to conduct a second verification test.
- Last 3-7 days in length
- Conduct test every two years or if major renovation occurs.
Long-Term Radon Test Kits
- Should be used if you have done a short-term measurement before that reported low or elevated levels and you would like to conduct a second test. Provides an average over a longer period.
- Last 3-12 months in length
Radon in Iowa
What Is the Risk from Radon in Iowa?
All of Iowa is in Zone 1 (red), indicating Iowans have a very high potential for elevated levels of radon gas. You can see the estimated radon risk for each county on this interactive map.
Iowa Radon Hotline
Need more information on radon in Iowa? Call the Iowa Radon Hotline at 1-800-393-5992. Operating hours are 8:30 am (CST) through 4:30 pm (CST). If you are calling after standard operating hours, the automated messaging service will record your message and a staff member will return your call.
For a list of radon measurement and mitigation specialists please visit the Iowa Department of Public Health website.
Iowa Radon Videos
- What is radon?
- How does radon enter the home?
- Why is radon a problem?
- How do I test for radon?
- What do my radon test results mean?
- What is radon mitigation?
- Is your radon mitigation system installed and working correctly?
Radon Measurement Guide for Schools
The American Lung Association in Iowa in partnership with the Iowa Department of Public Health has created a guide for radon measurements in schools. To participate, follow the free online training that offers best practices for testing protocol and accuracy.
Iowa Radon Poster & Video Contests
The Iowa Radon Poster and Video Contests take place each year to raise awareness about the dangers of radon gas.