Smokefree Housing Resources for Illinois Property Owners
Smokefree multi-unit housing policies have primarily been adopted voluntarily. Smokefree multi-unit housing policies are legal and relatively easy to implement. There is no constitutional right to smoke, therefore designating multi-unit housing as smokefree is not discriminatory.
Property Owners' Views on Smokefree Housing
Resident's Views on Smokefree Housing
New Property Owners' Guide to Adopting to Adopting a Smokefree Policy.
New Resident's Guide to Adopting a Smokefree Policy
Check out our Sample Materials!
- How Property Owners Can Prohibit Smoking in Rental Housing
- Smokefree Housing Is Legal & Good for Business & Health
- There is No Constitutional Right to Smoke: 2008
- Secondhand Smoke Seepage into Multi-Unit Affordable Housing: 2010
- Infiltration of Secondhand Smoke into Condominiums, Apartments and Other Multi-Unit Dwellings: 2009
Public Housing Authorities
- Read the joint letter from partners encouraging public housing agencies to adopt smokefree policies
- Download the HUD Toolkit Smokefree Housing Toolkit for Public Housing Authorities and Owners/Management Agents
- Learn more at the HUD Smokefree housing page
For more information or assistance, please contact us at [email protected].