Texas COPD Summit Deliverable Initiatives
After compiling our roundtable discussion notes, the team solidified four action goals/initiatives that the American Lung Association in Texas will begin to assist in the implementation of. The American Lung Association in Texas and community partners will increase awareness, screening and early diagnosis, and increase quality of care for patients with COPD. These goals were developed from the Texas COPD Summit on May 10, 2018.
- Develop key messages through media platforms such as magazines, newspapers, and social media targeted to our population of baby boomers and the greatest generation.
- Provide a COPD awareness toolkit for clinics, hospitals, industry, and community use.
Screening and Early Diagnosis:
- Promote COPD screening, using a validated tool, through primary care clinics, hospitals, health risk assessments, and community events.
- Work to add COPD specific questions to employee health assessments.
Improve Quality of Care:
- Develop 30-minute COPD educational curriculums for various disciplines (MDs, RRTs, RNs, Pharmacists) for in-person training, "medical minutes" in hospitals, grand rounds, and other outreach within the healthcare systems.
- Deliver COPD professional education trainings, tailored to each discipline, at primary care clinics, hospitals, and other health care settings.