Iowa Student Contest Winners Announced
14 students from eight cities awarded in Radon Video, Poster Contest
(May 15, 2017) -
For more information please contact:
DES MOINES, IA – More than one thousand Iowa students participated in the annual Radon Video and Poster Contest, which is held to spread awareness of the dangerous gas radon.
After reviewing 77 video entries and 774 poster entries, five videos and five posters were selected. The winners are listed below. Videos and images of the posters are available upon request.
Video winners received cash prizes up to $800.
· 1st Place: Daniel Truong and Logan Ligas, Valley High School, West Des Moines, IA
· 2nd Place: Elizabeth Schrock and Samuel Billingsley, Central Campus, Des Moines, IA
· 3rd Place: Alison Hisel, Valley High School, West Des Moines, IA
· Honorable Mention: Rebecka Williams and Claire Forret, Waukee High School, Waukee, IA
· Honorable Mention: Ethan and Emily Ellinger, Valley High School, West Des Moines, IA
Poster winners received cash prizes up to $300.
· 1st Place: Sunya Hardi, Northview Middle School, Ankeny, IA
· 2nd Place: Lydia Pritchard, Regina Elementary, Iowa City, IA
· 3rd Place: Alyssa Ramler, Regis Middle School, Cedar Rapids, IA
· 4th Place: Layla Key, Bedford Elementary School, Bedford, IA
· 5th Place: Ava Moritz, Northview Middle School, Ankeny, IA
“According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, every year more than 400 Iowans die from lung cancer caused by radon, a radioactive gas undetectable by human senses. That’s the same number of Iowans who die in traffic accidents each year. This contest sheds much needed light on this silent but deadly killer,” said Micki Sandquist, Executive Director of the American Lung Association in Iowa.
In partnership with the Iowa Department of Public Health, the Lung Association conducts the annual contest to raise awareness of the dangerous gas radon. Students within the ages of 9 – 14 submit a self-made poster that will increase public awareness of radon and encourage others to test their homes. The Iowa High School Radon Video Contest is for high school students and classes. Students submit a one-minute public service announcement or commercial to also raise awareness and encourage testing.
For more information about the contest, contact Stephanie Huber, Environmental Programs Manager for the Lung Association, at 217-718-6692.
About the American Lung Association in Iowa
Our mission is to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease. With your generous support, the American Lung Association is "Fighting for Air" through research, education and advocacy. For more information about the American Lung Association or to support the work it does, call 1-800-LUNG-USA (1-800-586-4872) or visit www.Lung.org.