Lung Health Intern, Wisconsin
The American Lung Association has a great opportunity for two (2) Lung Health Interns to join our incredible team in the Upper Midwest Region. Working alongside members of the Mission Team, you will join an outstanding group of professionals dedicated to our mission: to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease, through research, education, and advocacy.
In this role, you will work with American Lung Association staff to develop content expertise in asthma management and indoor air quality management, as well as gain experience in community health outreach and providing health education to families and children with asthma. The position entails assisting with home-based asthma environmental assessments for children with poorly controlled asthma in Milwaukee and the collar counties. This is a paid internship position requiring a time commitment of up to 10 hours per week until June 2018.
- Assist with asthma home assessments by walking through a child's home and assessing for environmental triggers to the child's asthma
- Provide asthma education on triggers, symptoms, and how to reduce environmental home triggers to parents/caregivers
- Collect baseline, 3-month, and 12-month data on child's asthma severity using the Asthma Control Test and Child Asthma Short Form
- Deliver remediation products to home and provides any additional health education
- Assist with community education events, such as health fairs, wellness days, and focus groups
- Assist with Camp SuperKids, a summer camp for kids with asthma, preparation and organization
- Upper level graduate student in public health, community health, health education, environmental health, nursing, respiratory care, or related field required
- One year experience as a community health worker, health educator, nurse, respiratory therapist, or related field required
- Experience working in diverse communities and demonstrated ability to be culturally sensitive required
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) and strong attention to detail
- Bilingual (Spanish) strongly preferred
- Hold a valid driver's license and be willing to travel as needed within Milwaukee and the collar counties
- Ability to lift and carry 25 lbs. (supplies)
- Consistent with its mission, the American Lung Association maintains a smoke-free workplace; all unpaid interns and volunteers must abstain from tobacco use in any form.
To apply please send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to (include job title in subject of email):
American Lung Association
The American Lung Association is dedicated to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V