Manager, Communications (WA #1718-78)
The American Lung Association has a great opportunity for a Manager, Communications to join our incredible team. Working as a member Marketing and Communications Team, you will join an outstanding group of professionals dedicated to our mission: to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease, through research, education and advocacy.
In this role, you will be responsible for the execution of the National communication strategies to the local service areas assigned as well as developing local strategies to increase awareness of the American Lung Association’s mission and to promote the Association’s policy, health promotions and development activities. You will conduct media outreach and media relations in the states of OR, WA, AK, HI, MO, ID and WY, assisting CA as needed, around Lung Association signature reports, events, programs and initiatives, to build conversations in print, broadcast, online and social media and drive public, donor and media engagement.
- Ensures all communications and collateral material adheres to Lung Association (or LUNG FORCE) Brand Guidelines.
- Manages public relations outreach, including compiling and promoting human interest stories.
- Positions the association (Lung Association spokespersons, employees and volunteers) as lung-related subject matter experts to media outlets in the service region.
- Executes media relations for the American Lung Association’s signature reports (“State of Tobacco Control” and “State of the Air”), as well as on-going research and advocacy efforts.
- Manages proactive and reactive media relations activities for the service region, responding to media requests in a timely manner.
- Proactively builds relationships with media in major markets to secure coverage of policy, program and development initiatives.
- Assists events staff in developing media partnerships with local media stations to promote events.
- Manages and cultivate media lists for distributions and targeted pitching.
- Monitors regional media coverage daily.
- Manages organizational presence on social media sites and monitors local social media for adherence to best practices.
- Creates and manage messaging for collateral, web and oral presentations.
- Serves as the regional representative on the ALA Marketing and Communications Leadership Team.
- Manages content for internal staff communications, such as On Air!, and provide localized content for national e-communications.
- Provides strategic advice for best use of local advertising budget.
- Manages LUNG FORCE Hero intake information.
- Performs other responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism, PR, Marketing or Communications. Accreditation in Public Relations is preferred.
- Must have 3-5 years of experience in media relations and communications.
- Must have exceptional oral and written communications skills with proven success in media relations, robust computer and e-communications skills; strong knowledge of a variety of computer programs including Word, Powerpoint, Excel – InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator a plus
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, including attention to detail; self-motivated and ability to take initiative on projects; strong analytical and strategic reasoning skills and the ability to work remotely and on one’s own as well as with other members of the team.
- Must have working knowledge of social media best practices.
- Provide personal transportation to attend meetings and functions with a valid driver license and proof of personal auto insurance.
- Consistent with its mission, the American Lung Association maintains a smokefree work place, all employees must abstain from tobacco use in any form.
Please send or e-mail letter of application and resume with salary requirements to (include job title in subject of email):
Human Resources Department
American Lung Association
The American Lung Association is dedicated to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V