Chief Marketing Officer (CHI #1718-82)
The American Lung Association has a great opportunity for a Chief Marketing Officer to join our incredible team. Working as a member of the Executive Leadership Team, you will join an outstanding group of professionals dedicated to our mission: to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease, through research, education and advocacy.
In this role, you will be responsible for creating innovative marketing strategies that will build on and enhance the Lung Association’s brand, leading to increased awareness, fundraising revenue, relevance and respect among ALA’s multiple internal and external stakeholders.
You will possess tremendous communication and leadership skills, with proven success in integrated marketing campaigns, across the broad spectrum of today’s digital and traditional media channels. You will effectively marry business performance and audience analytics with the organization’s mission and reasons to believe for stakeholders.
The Lung Association is looking for a ground-breaking leader with strategic and creative skills blended with strong digital and e-commerce business intellect to take the Lung Association to its next level.
Strategy, Vision and Leadership: Develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan and ROI model to advance the Lung Association’s brand awareness and reputation; broaden awareness of its programs and priorities; and increase the visibility of its programs across key stakeholder audiences and digital properties. Create marketing/public relations strategy that will allow the Lung Association leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including key media, influencers, partners, and donors. Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization. Work with leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them. Serve as marketing/communications counselor to the Lung Association leadership. Partner with Development to marry marketing/communications with business and fundraising efforts. Manage Special Events Coordinator ensuring volunteer recruitment, e-communications, and adherence to the timeline for a successful event. Responsible for cross-functional collaboration with Programs and Advocacy to ensure robust representation at all fundraising events. Oversee all event solicitations. Oversee budget and logistics preparation. Work closely with a variety of vendors and venues necessary for event execution.
Marketing/Communications Strategy & Implementation: Build the Lung Association brand to drive awareness and reputation so the Lung Association is seen as a leader in the non-profit field. Pioneer and implement measurable strategies that will drive hard revenue goals and increase awareness at national and local levels. Expand and enhance customer relationships through on-line platforms and e-commerce. Ensure the Lung Association brand is known and trusted amongst top-tier print, broadcast and hybrid properties. Actively engage, cultivate, and manage key journalist relationships to ensure positive and strategic coverage on organizational news, initiatives, and other projects. Oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications function including planning and staff development. Establish a best-in-class web presence that drives organizational impact, donations and volunteer support, and supports aggressive fundraising and awareness growth goals. Evaluate and enhance the Lung Association’s Search Engine Optimization to own key search terms and drive donors and supporters to the site. Create an impactful social media presence that empowers stakeholders to spread the Lung Association brand and mission virally. Develop innovative campaigns that increase quality fans and followers and turn them into donors/engaged constituents. Deliver more relevant digital display advertising.
Business Development & Multi-Stakeholder Engagement: Develop and leverage powerful donor and influencer networks to create a lead generation machine for Development. Partner with Development to create a solid plan to reach Major and Small Gift Donors that reflects segmentation, targeting and value proposition development. Rally the Lung Association’s stakeholders (staff, donors, chapters, etc.) around the brand; ensure brand standards are maintained across all channels. Mastermind and execute innovative stakeholder communications strategies to educate and inform current supporters about activities and accomplishments.
- Bachelor’s degree required and advanced degree (Masters, PhD) in business, marketing, communications or related field strongly desired.
- Minimum 15+ years’ experience in a senior management role either in-house or with an agency.
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing a 360 integrated marketing/strategic communications role, including but not limited to, paid, earned and social media relations, to advance an organization's mission and goals, as well as individual initiatives to drive awareness, partnership and donations.
- Understanding of the stakeholder pathway and motivators from awareness to intent to action to adoption for each audience segment – and how that journey plays out across environments, devices, channels and interactions (both digital and physical).
- Proven experience in e-philanthropy and online fundraising strategies.
- Deep understanding of building long-term constituent engagement strategies through direct response and e-mail marketing.
- Ability to evaluate and extrapolate insights from platforms such as Google Analytics, Adobe Analytics and Sales Force Marketing Cloud.
- Experience with integrating offline and online customer service initiatives (call center, email/web chat, and social media monitoring/engagement).
- Deep understanding of digital fundraising tools (e.g. email/CRM, Facebook donations, Convio, etc.).
- Creative and thoughtful on how new media technologies can be utilized. Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output.
- Experience in building, mentoring, and coaching a team of communications and development specialists.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers. Stature, gravitas, and confidence to gain the credibility and respect of high-performing Board of Directors.
- Self-reliant, good problem solver, results oriented.
- Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs.
- Excellent and persuasive communicator.
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical finance, and administration initiatives.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior management, the Lung Association’s Board of Directors and staff.
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker.
- Consistent with its mission, the American Lung Association maintains a smoke-free work place; all employees must abstain from tobacco use in any form.
This search is being conducted by MarketPro:
Click Here to Apply: Chief Marketing Officer
The American Lung Association is dedicated to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V