Development Director - West Virginia
State: West Virginia
The Development Director reports directly to the Vice President of Development and is responsible for revenue generation and creating year-round cultivation of sponsors, donors and volunteers in the West Virginia area. The incumbent will be responsible for building, growing, and achieving development goals around the Greenbrier Bike Trek, LUNG FORCE Luncheon, and possible additional events necessary to achieve goal. Location negotiable but able to cover entire state.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Part I: Fundraising/In-Kind Revenue Generation
1. Works with the VP of Development on engaging new volunteers and sponsors.
2. Solicits and maintains high-level corporate & patron sponsors by developing a year-round cultivation plan.
3. Builds recruitment committees and corporate sponsorship committees to solicit high level event Chairs and working committees.
4. Plans, develops, maintains, and implements assigned fundraising events according to best practices and event timelines.
5. Responsible for executive volunteer recruitment.
6. Build relationships with key corporate leaders who support key fundraising initiatives.
7. Manages volunteers
8. Works independently in achievement of individual goals as well as working collaboratively with a team to support the WV financial goals.
9. Coordinates public relations for the event.
10. Handles all public relations relating to the event including maintaining event website.
11. Makes cold calls as needed and documents follow up activities
12. Is in the field cultivating new and existing fundraising relationships at a minimum of 3+ meetings per week
13. Maintain smooth operation in assigned office area to include:
o An organized, current filing system including e-files on local and shared drives.
o Ensure adequate promotional supplies are available for local events
o Maintains event supply area
Part II: Data Management
Utilize CONVIO/ROI systems to:
o Enter in-kind donations
o Enter constituent information and communication notes CONVIO
o Send emails and newsletters to event participants
o Enter sponsorships and pledges
o Assist participants with Participant center, as needed
o Make changes to participants’ information in CONVIO, as needed
o Generate reports as needed
o Routinely audit database to ensure accuracy
o Continue to develop computer skills and knowledge
o Bachelors Degree preferred
o Possess strong selling and negotiation skills.
o Ability to identify, recruit and cultivate relationships with top level executives and volunteers.
o Proven track record in cultivating and developing prospective donors leading to successful “asks”.
o The ability to effectively manage time and multiple priorities, meet deadlines, and respond to inquiries in a timely manner is essential.
o Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
o Demonstrated effective written and oral communication
o Proficiency in computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite
o Ability to work evenings/weekends as events permit
o Ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
o Must have at least 2 years fundraising or sales experience with a proven track record of meeting and exceeding goals.
o Must have management experience.
o Experience operating general office equipment such as copiers, faxes, postage machines, calculators and other office equipment as necessary
Certificates, License and Registrations
o Maintaining a valid driver’s license
All American Lung Association positions (Mid-Atlantic) require a criminal background check. Most positions require a valid driver’s license and proof of auto insurance. A Child Abuse History Clearance is also required for some positions.
Comprehensive benefits package for full time positions includes medical, dental, and vision insurance. Life Insurance and additional voluntary life products available. Matching 403(b) and employer discretionary contribution available after 1 year of service. Generous amount of vacation, sick and holiday time.
Exempt Status: Salaried personnel are expected to work additional hours, including evenings and weekends as workloads and projects demand.
Interested candidates please submit cover letter with salary requirements and resume to:
American Lung Association of the Mid-Atlantic
Department of Human Resources
630 Churchmans Rd; Suite 202
Newark, DE 19702
or e-mail your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org