5 Tips to Get Through the Oscars without Smoking
Stretching out at more than four hours (or longer depending on your red carpet style), the Oscars have become a pop culture marathon. And if you’re trying to stay smokefree, the Oscars - or any soiree - can make an evening feel even longer than usual. So whether you are hosting a party, taking it easy on the couch or sitting in the front row, here are a few tips to help you keep urges at bay:
- Take a Deep Breath. Whether you’re up for a big award or biting your nails for your favorite blockbuster to take top prize, destress by taking a deep breath. Practicing deep breathing can help during an urge to smoke. Smoking urges only last 3 to 5 minutes whether you smoke or not, so taking that moment of Zen can calm your nerves and quell your need to light up.
- Stick to Seltzer Water. Everyone has different smoking triggers, and alcohol is a big one for many people. If you’re quitting smoking, swap the champagne for some non-alcoholic bubbly. The festivities won’t stop, and you’ll help keep those triggers at bay.
- Snacks Help Keep Hands Busy. During long commercial breaks and acceptance speeches, take a break at the snack bar and chomp on some pretzels or carrot sticks. Keeping your hands busy will distract you long enough to get back to your seat before the next award!
- Distract Yourself. There are four D’s to keep in mind when trying to get through an urge to smoke: delay, deep breaths, drink water, and do something else. Make the Oscars a game by filling out your own Oscar’s ballot and keeping score throughout the night. You can even hand out prizes to party-goers that correctly guess the Oscars winners.
- Drop the Vape Pen. We get it, some people think it looks cool, but e-cigarettes are actually filled with carcinogens—aka chemicals—that aren’t good for your lungs. There are a lot of proven quit smoking resources that actually do work and help you break your addiction to nicotine. Check out the American Lung Association’s Freedom From Smoking, which has helped over one million people quit smoking. Let us help you become completely smokefree.
And if you need the support of someone who understands, we have certified smoking cessation counselors available over the phone or online. Just call 1-800-LUNGUSA or contact us online. Quitting smoking isn’t easy but it can be done!